Thursday, January 14, 2016

Intro by M83

Well...where do I start?
Remember the time where Dr. Pryor held the game show "Name the Opportunity!" If yes, I was the second contestant on the show. When asked what I like to do for fun, I kinda zoned out and said "sleep,eat and sleep" Just to clarify, that's not true. Not completely anyways.
I'll start with the basics: My name is Gustavo Elias Valle . Don't worry, you may call me Gus.
I was born in Ecuador and truth be told I would still be over there had my dad not gotten a job in Miami. So, in 1998 I got on the plane and flew over to the US of A. Besides eating and sleeping, I like to draw, watch movies, take long drives, listen to music, cook, wonder about what ifs scenarios, chill with my friends and stare at the night sky.
Fast forward sixteen years and I suddenly found myself driving up to Gainesville. Originally, I majored in Biology. Originally, I wanted to be a medical researcher or a doctor. Back at my high school graduation I said that I wanted to "save the world"
Okay, wow that did not sound as cool as I remembered it. In all of honesty though, all I wanted to do was to make the world a better place. Perhaps changing human history or coming up with some incredible discovery was a bit out of my reach, but if I could make life better for some people, then that was good enough for me. I thought to myself "Hell, I should be a doctor"
Key word though: Originally
By the end of my freshman year, I realized that I wasn't all that happy with my major and switched over to Political Science. Yes, it is quite a change.
What hasn't changed was my promise. I still want to help people and I want to make the world a better place. I want to...work at a think tank. Properly known as "policy institutes", think tanks essentially create policies for governments/NGOs. The current plan is to graduate, volunteer at Peace Corp,go to grad school and find a job at a think tank. Hopefully all of this works out. Then again, life loves to throw curveballs.
Whatever happens, I'm optimistic



No comments:

Post a Comment