The person I chose to interview was a family friend of mine named Jorge Washington Vecilla. Way back in the early 1950s, Jorge had a deep passion for music. In fact his first job was working as a cashier at the record store. However, he wanted to do more than stand behind a box and sell records. Jorge dreamed of being part of the actual music making process and wanted to own his own production label.
And that’s what he did.
What do you wish you had been taught in school before setting out on your own path as an entrepreneur?
Well, you have to understand that in those days, especially in Latin America, college was not really as prioritized as it is today. I simply graduated from high school and went straight to work. Now, I never really thought myself as an entrepreneur now that you mention it. All I wanted to do was be the director, the behind the scenes guy, the...the leader of the orchestra if you will. I guess all I really wanted to do was give good music to the people of Ecuador.
I knew it was going to be hard but damn I wish I would have been warned that it was going to be hard. Seriously, getting all the components and people together is quite of a process. I wish I would have be told that there were going to be plenty of sleepless nights and disappointments. In the end, persistence, will and work ethic is what will pay off.
What does it mean to be an entrepreneur?
Like I said, I never really gave myself that title. Producer is what always came to mind. To be a producer or “entrepreneur” means to use all resources available to you. ALL. RESOURCES. It means to work with people you don’t like and adapt to inconveniences. You have to reach out and find tools and people, which is not as easy as it sounds. At times it will be uncomfortable. But like I said, it is all part of the process. Sometimes the thing you need or want will not be there, but hey, take a deep breathe and continue. Someday it will be. You just have to chin up and be patient.
What should my expectations be in this course?
Honestly, there will always be a difference between theory and reality. You know that you will fail. But do you truly know what it means to be knocked down hard? I think this class will serve as a warning to all who want to be entrepreneurs. It will not be an easy path. At the same time, I feel that this class may give you a taste of triumph. No matter what happens, never lose your sight on victory, because trust me, the actual feeling of it is indescribable.
By the end of the interview, I'm not that all surprised by his responses. It reminded me of that scene when Luke Skywalker told Yoda "I'm not afraid" Yoda merely looks at him and says "Good. You will be. You will be" As students, we can only be taught theories, which in a way makes us naive. The feeling of failure and victory cannot be taught, only experienced.
No comments:
Post a Comment