Sunday, March 13, 2016

My Secret Sauce

How to make a Gus

For whatever reason you want to build your own Gus, all I have to say is Thank you and Good luck. I think one crucial element to my "secret sauce" is being quiet. Seriously, I don't talk much. Perhaps it is because I place an extremely high value on listening. When I'm with my friends, I do my fair share of talking, but when I'm with people I don't know too well, I choose to remain quiet because it is my way of trying to understand who they are. I feel like if I talk too much, I may be missing out on what the other person has to say. Another important ingredient you need to build a Gus is dark humor. I am an avid fan of Louis C.K. Black comedy is sometimes frowned upon because it can be deemed "inappropriate" The way I see it, black comedy isn't meant to make fun others, but rather to put a "positive" spin on situations. I know that it is a difficult to grasp, but for me at least, it offers a unique perspective and some humor. The third thing that makes me, well, me is my willingness to cooperate and compromise. It is ideal to have things always go your way, but the reality is that that will mostly likely not always be the case. Compromising and cooperating can get you further. At the same time, I know my limits. It is one thing to compromise and give up something, but it is another thing to sell out and contradict your own morals. Number four on the list is helping others. I used to be a biology major but switched over to political science. I used to think that being a doctor was the only way to help others, but through this major I could also reach that goal. I want to work at a think tank and help people through policy. The final component of Gus is my attempt to empathize with others. I don't always succeed, but I keep on trying. In conclusion, all of these ingredients to my "secret sauce" may seem to appear to only focus on emotions, but the truth is that these qualities I work on will help on me on the path I pursue. Hopefully, I'll get there. Peace.

1. Dakotah
Dakotah explained how I attempt to connect with people on a deeper level and how much I love movies and my major.
2. Derek
He brings up my empathy and how I always try to help others. 
3. Tyler
I apologize for the profanity, but I chose to keep this video not because he says that I am trying to get ahead in life or that I want to help people. I am keeping this video because that he who he is and I don't want him to pretend who he isn't. Again, I apologize if anyone gets offended (three bleeps). 
3. Bella
She talks about how we met along with other details.


What genuinely surprised me was that I'm succeeding in what I'm striving to become. For instance, some people out there believe that they are funny when in fact they are not. In this case, I'm happy that my ego isn't getting the best of me and that the results are there. Hearing this gives me hope that I am on the right path and that the message I am trying to get across is getting across. I have to say, I'm surprised the dark humor wasn't mentioned. Oh well.

3 comments:

  1. Hey Gustavo, I think that you have some really interesting human capital. I too am a fan of dark humor. I think it's because I am not very easily offended and, like you, I like to try and make the best of a bad situation. Empathy is something I have always kind of struggled with, so it is a definitely a good skill to have. In addition, I don't talk much to strangers at first either. I like to get comfortable with somebody before I become really talkative. If you want to check out my post, you can find it at http://alexbeyrent.blogspot.com/2016/03/my-secret-sauce.html.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love how you've written this. I'm not sure I want to build a Gus, but I now I know how!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It sounds like you have a good group of friends who understand you very well. The traits they describe and those you have self-identified will serve you well with your career aspirations. Not many people take the time to truly listen and understand other people. Instead, the world seems filled with a bunch of talkers and very few listeners. Great job. Check out my blog at http://mrufent.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete