Looking back to my first interview, I'm amazed at the stuff I wrote...
Maybe posting that Star Wars clip was a wee bit dramatic. Looking back in hindsight though, it wasn't THAT bad. I was only trying to have fun with that assignment. Hopefully, you guys did too.
Joking aside, he was not lying. Now I by all means don't really wish to pursue my own venture. Sure, these assignments in no way resemble the real thing, but it does offer us a glimpse of risky yet exciting path of entrepreneurship. The person I interviewed did not lie when he mentioned that it is difficult to set up a business. It felt strange for me trying to merely make light connections with experts. Now I could only imagine the real thing. I guess I may have underestimated this class.
Oh and here is the interview:
What would you do differently?
- Oh that's easy: Not piss the wrong people off. I didn't do so bad in the music industry but honestly there were some people I met that would have been valuable assets. There were moments where I did not take them too seriously or made inappropriate jokes. That being said, I also wish that I was sharp enough to dissociate with people pulling my business down. If there is any takeaway from this, it is to be wise enough to separate gems from rocks.
What happened with your company?
- I stayed with the company for over 30 years. Once it was time to retire, I handed the mantle over to my son, whose been in the business with me since he graduated from high school. From what I've heard, the business is still doing pretty well.
Why didn't you sell it or let the Board take care of it?
- Music is my passion. Now I can't sing or play an instrument, but I sure know good music when i hear it. Since my first day working behind the register at the record store I immediately realized that this was something I want to be a part of for as long as I can. Sell the company? You're crazy. This place is my baby. The folk on the Board are good people, but I fear that greed could cloud their judgement. Sure, I want my company to be successful, but I don't want to be associated with shitty music. I'd rather go with small names or unknowns with grand potential and work ethic instead of pretentious assholes who swear that they are all that. I didn't plan on handing the company to my son, but I'm grateful and blessed that he loves music and shares my philosophy. Over the years I've worked with him I came to realize that he is worthy.
When I first contacted him, he asked me how I was doing in the class and all that jazz. After I finished with the interview, he asked me if I "understood". I was admittedly confused at first, but he meant if I understood what was necessary to be successful. The short answer is persistence and will. "Honestly" I said "I understand the concept behind it and I understand what has to be done. But whether I'm good at t or not is the real question"
He chuckled and replied "Don't worry, just keep your head up and use what you learned. Most of the knowledge you need will come anyways once you use it for real"
Nice post title, that's pretty funny. I think you did a great job fulfilling the requirements of the post so kudos. Also I am not a fan of the orange-gold font color but I am a big fan of the background picture. I'll have to incorporate something similar. It really calms the mind and eyes. Check out my blog too: http://entrepreneurshipwithq.blogspot.com/2016/04/very-short-interview-part-2.html
ReplyDeleteHi Gustavo,
ReplyDeleteI think it is funny how he asked you if you “understood” him. Honestly it is all fine and dandy talking about starting a business as far as this class goes but most of, if not all, us know what it takes to start from scratch and start a business. There is a lot of risk in starting a business and none of us really and truly understand it.
If you want to check out my business concept, the link to my blog is attached below.
http://amshiremanblog.blogspot.com